Obtaining or changing a permanent code

The permanent code is a unique identifying code assigned by the Ministère de l’Éducation to all students who attend an educational institution in Québec. It is an alphanumeric code composed of four letters and eight numbers that is usually indicated on:

  • report cards and transcripts issued by schools, colleges, universities or the Ministère
  • general education, vocational training or college education diplomas
  • certain official documents personally addressed to you from Aide financière aux études, the Ministère de l’Éducation or the Ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur

To obtain a permanent code when you first enrol, you must contact the admissions office of your educational institution.

If you are a former student and cannot find your permanent code, you will need to call the general information line for the Ministère de l’Éducation, at 418-643-7095, or the general information line for the Ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur, at 418-266-1337.

Changing identifying information

To change your identifying information following an event or because of an error, you must:

  • contact your current educational institution, if you are still a student
  • fill out and submit the form Changing identifying information if you are no longer a student

Ministère de l’Éducation
Toll-free: 1-866-747-6626    

Ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur
Toll-free: 1-866-266-1337