Sustainable development in the school network
The government is implementing measures related to sustainable development in the school network. For more information on these measures, see the Plan d’accompagnement-conseil du réseau scolaire en matière de développement durable 2021-2022 (PAC) (available in French only).
Whether by raising young people’s awareness in order to reduce their use of paper, creating a community garden or setting up beehives, sustainable development actions allow young people, and other members of the community, to learn more about green citizenship.
The measures listed in the PAC are the result of ministerial consultations and consultations with the Ministère’s partners, including the Table d’accompagnement-conseil du réseau scolaire en matière de développement durable (TASCO).
The Ministère de l’Éducation proposes that the school network should adopt a sustainable development approach, which will streamline mobilizing all stakeholders in the spirit of collaboration in order to foster the adoption of a shared vision. By implementing concrete actions for sustainable development, educational institutions can act as models and encourage young people to make informed decisions and take action in their communities.
The adoption of a sustainable development approach must meet at least five of the eight criteria created by the Ministère de l’Éducation, which are:
- making a formal commitment
- adopting an action plan for sustainable development that includes indicators and targets
- implementing a monitoring and evaluation process
- completing the accountability process and having the results validated by the organization
- considering the three dimensions of sustainable development (society, environment, economy)
- creating a sustainable development committee
- establishing an initial assessment regarding sustainable development
- holding activities for training and raising awareness
Sustainable development actions can take various forms based on the decisions taken by the educational institution. The following list provides examples of some of these actions:
- installing recycling and/or composting containers
- purchasing reusable dishes for the cafeteria
- planting trees and bushes to fight against heat islands
- installing secure bike lockers
- creating a community garden
- organizing “zero-waste lunch” days
- raising awareness about reducing paper consumption
- setting up beehives
- selling used books and toys
- organizing yoga and meditation workshops
- creating secure paths for cyclists and pedestrians
- organizing workshops or conferences related to environmental protection
The Ministère would like to encourage the adoption of education for sustainable development within the school network. Education for sustainable development and its components can also help address the current concerns of young people, such as the environment and the fight against climate change.
In the school network, the Québec Education Programme already includes all the elements allowing a school or teacher, from preschool to secondary school, to facilitate education for sustainable development and its components.
For its part, the Ministère is committed to promoting pedagogical materials on education for sustainable development with its partners, such as TASCO, using various tools such as its newsletter on sustainable development or its social media accounts.
- Plan d’action (available in French only)
- Education for sustainable development : Volumes 1, 2, 3
- Memory Aid for the Sustainable Development Approach
- Condensé – Guide d’action – Accompagner une démarche intégrée de développement durable en milieu scolaire (available in French only)
- Portrait de la déclaration 2023 en matière de développement durable (available in French only)
- Portrait de la déclaration 2022 en matière de développement durable (available in French only)
- Exemples d’actions pouvant être intégrées dans un plan d’action (available in French only)
- Les 16 principes de développement durable et exemples dans le milieu scolaire (available in French only)
- Training Session : Sustainable Development Approach 101
- Training Session : Connections between the QEP and SD
- Directory of Sustainable Development Initiatives in the School Network
- Projets jeunesse en changements climatiques 2022-2023 : liste des récipiendaires (available in French only)
- Journée de l'environnement dans l'administration publique (available in French only)
- Loi sur le développement durable (available in French only)
- Stratégie gouvernementale de développement durable (available in French only)
- Le coin de Rafale (available in French only)
- 16 principes sur le développement durable (available in French only)
- Lien d’inscription vers l’infolettre (available in French only)
- Guide d'action - Accompagner une démarche intégrée de développement durable en milieu scolaire (available in French only)
- Formation - Le PFEQ et le développement durable (available in French only)
- Formation - Adoption d'une démarche de développement durable (available in French only)
- Formation - Comment intégrer une orientation en développement durable dans le PEVR (available in French only)