Projects must be carried out in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Schools Host an Artist or Writer component. Schools and school boards may start their projects once they have received a reply to their financial assistance application. Before embarking on a project, the parties must agree on such matters as:
- project dates
- the duration of the project (number of weeks, whether they are consecutive or not)
- related fees and expenses
- terms and conditions of payment
- the materials required and the terms and conditions of purchase, which take into account what the cultural partner needs to carry out the cultural project
- the obligations and the responsibilities of the school board and the cultural partner
- copyright and the dissemination of the work
- clauses covering the cancellation or termination of a contract
The school board or private school must sign a service contract with the cultural services provider. Questions relating to contract management must be put to the contract management advisor at your school board or educational institution.
The contract must be adapted to the specific nature of each project. If the final product is the result of a collaborative effort involving the artistic exploration work of the students and the personal creative work of the artist or writer, the school board or private educational institution and the cultural partner must come to an agreement on copyright issues and the dissemination of the work. Additional clauses must then be included in the contract signed by the two parties. The advice of a legal professional may be required regarding certain aspects of the law.
The school or school board may request a Declaration Concerning a Judicial Record before allowing an artist or writer to carry out a project in a school. The artist or writer is responsible for the costs applicable to this verification, and the procedures involved are specific to each school board or private educational institution.
- Unless the cultural partner provides instructions to the contrary, the school board or private educational institution is not to make any deductions at source when paying fees.
- The school board or private educational institution applies the management rules in effect and reaches an agreement with the cultural partner on a lump sum payment. However, it is suggested that a minimum of $2000 be paid during the first week of the project.
- The justification of expenses is carried out according to the terms and conditions specified by the school board or private educational institution, which also sees to the application of the tax laws in effect.
- There is no official report required at the end of projects. However, it is strongly recommended that educational establishments and cultural partners send the Ministère an email with comments that describe their experience.
- Supporting documents for expenses incurred must be kept, as the Ministère may ask educational and cultural partners for these documents.
- Artists, writers or cultural organizations that have been the subject of a complaint for a justifiable reason, or for whom the project completed in a school does not respect the standards of the program, may be required to provide explanations and suggest possible solutions before being allowed to submit a new request for financial aid under the Schools Host an Artist or Writer component. If a second project also receives negative comments from a school, the cultural partners may be deemed inadmissible to this component of the Culture in the Schools program.
The deadline for receipt of applications has passed for the 2020-2021 school year.
Announcement of results: Early December