Request for Approval
Submission of requests for approval
School boards and private schools must complete the Demande de reconnaissance ou de renouvellement d’un projet particulier de formation en arts, which is available in Collecte-Info, and send it to MELS.
As part of its initiative to streamline its administrative processes, MELS has moved all its forms to a single Web portal. One of the main objectives of this is to simplify the work of the school boards.
The user names and passwords for accessing the forms are available from your school board’s director general. Each educational institution is responsible for managing these user names and passwords and ensuring that they remain confidential.
The application for approval must include the following:
- Project model
- Time allocated to the project (main Arts Education subject at the elementary level)
- Time and credits allocated to the project (main Arts Education subject at the secondary level)
- Number of students enrolled in the project
- Financial resources
- Main characteristics of the school
- Connection between this project and the school’s educational project
- Illustration of the project’s expected pedagogical impact on the school, the community and the region
- Student enrolment procedures
- Support and supervision measures for students
- Role and qualifications of outside pedagogical resources
- Role of pedagogical partner organizations
- Connections between the project and the orientations of the Québec Education Program
- Learning contexts
- Evaluation of learning in the basic program and in the enriched component
- Appendix 1: Resolutions adopted by the governing board and the school board
- Appendix 2: Subject-time allocation (and a copy of the request for an exemption, if applicable)
- Appendix 3: Overall Planning of Learning for an educational level
- Appendix 4: Progression of Learning, adapted to the project, covering a subject-specific competency (Tools adapted to the progression of learning for the enriched component)
- Appendix 5: Example of a learning and evaluation situation
A project approval request must be prepared by a committee made up of members of the school staff and a representative of any partner organization. The committee puts a file together, gathering information from various sources, such as the school’s educational project, the QEP and, if applicable, a previous local program.
Processing a request for approval
The elements that are considered in evaluating a project are described in the Project Evaluation Form
If a project is selected, a letter confirming approval of the Special Pedagogical Project in Arts Education and the period of approval is sent to the school board or the private school. The letter states that annual reports must be provided.
Course codes are assigned by the Direction de la sanction des études and must be used throughout the period of approval.
A letter outlining the strong points of the program and possibilities for pedagogical development is sent to the school board or private school to guide the project administrators in following up their project.
Renewing a Request for Approval
Approval of a special school project in Arts Education lasts four years. By April 1 of the last year covered by the previous approval, the school board or private educational institution must submit a new version of the project to the Ministère if it wishes to maintain that approval.
The new version of the program may be based on the version that has already been approved, and which has since been adapted and enhanced on the basis of the annual reports that have been submitted.
The requirements concerning the development and submission of this new request for approval are the same as for an initial request.