This section presents the calculations used to determine the total amount that can be reimbursed for science culture workshops at the school or for field trips to science organizations. Since school field trips must be funded within the framework of this component, the educational institution cannot receive financial assistance under the measure "Field trips to cultural venues".
To be eligible for reimbursement, costs must be necessary and reasonable and have been actually incurred. Supporting documents may be requested, depending on the specific terms and conditions specified by the school, SSC or SB.
Depending on the region and the resources available, the financial assistance associated with the Science Culture component may be as high as 100% (or 75% for private schools) of the eligible expenses.
- Fees for representatives of science organizations conducting a workshop at the school or by videoconference remain at the discretion of the organizations. However, eligible expenses cannot exceed $325 per working day per person.
- If the science organization is subject to taxes, they are added to the fees and represent an eligible expense.
- For science culture workshops conducted at school or by videoconference, the representative’s workday consists of a maximum of three workshops.
The costs associated with students’ and teachers’ admission to science organizations may be covered by financial assistance.
The school, SSC or SB must see to it that the amount spent per student for an activity is reasonable.
- The transportation costs incurred by students visiting science organizations and by representatives of these organizations visiting schools to carry out workshops are eligible expenses.
- In all cases, the most cost-effective means of transportation must be used.
- The representative of the science organization is reimbursed the actual cost of public transportation and car rental.
- The parking fees are reimbursed upon presentation of receipts.
- In exceptional circumstances, and subject to agreement, a train or plane may be used for travel to remote areas.
Use of a personal vehicle
If the use of a personal vehicle is unavoidable, transportation expenses are reimbursed at the rate of $0.49 per kilometre. Supporting documents may be required, depending on the terms and conditions specified by the school, SSC or SB.
Expenses related to the use of a personal vehicle are allowable only for return trips covering a minimum distance of 25 kilometres between the school and the main office or residence of the representative of the science organization. For return trips under 25 kilometres, a flat fee of $12,25 may be claimed with a supporting document (official invitation, parking receipts, etc.).
Travel of under 12 hours without an overnight stay
- The representative of the science organization is reimbursed for the following meal costs, which include taxes and tip, for trips under 12 hours without an overnight stay:
- breakfast: $10.40 (if the departure from the representative’s main office or residence is before 7:30 a.m.)
- lunch: $14.30 (if the departure from the representative’s main office or residence is before 11 :30 a.m. and if the return to the main office or residence is after 1:30 p.m.)
- dinner: $21.55 (if the return to the representative’s main office or residence is after 6:30 p.m.)
Travel involving overnight stays
- Representatives of science organizations who must stay overnight may claim a per diem of $46.25 without submitting meal receipts.
Travel to north of the 49th parallel
The allowable amount for meals is increased by:
- 30% if the meals are served in a commercial establishment in a municipality situated between the 49th and 50th parallel
- 50% in a municipality situated above the 50th parallel
The following municipalities are excluded :
- Towns and villages on the Gaspé Peninsula
- Accommodation costs for representatives of science organizations may be reimbursed in accordance with the maximum amounts indicated below, excluding taxes, which are reimbursed separately. Proof of travel may be required, depending on the terms and conditions specified by the school, SSC or SB.
- Science organization representatives may claim a per diem of $5.85 per overnight stay.
- Science organization representatives who stay with family or friends may opt to receive a lump-sum allowance of $22.25 for each overnight stay.
- The actual costs for accommodation in a hotel or any other type of establishment in municipalities north of the 51st parallel are reimbursable.
a) Overnight stay in a hotel located within the limits of the city of Montréal
b) Overnight stay in a hotel located within the limits of Québec City
c) Overnight stay in a hotel located in the cities of Laval, Gatineau, Longueuil, Lac‑Beauport and Lac‑Delage
d) Overnight stay in a hotel located elsewhere in Québec
e) Overnight stay in any other establishment (campground, youth hostel, etc.)
Costs for specialized materials and equipment rental
The science organization is entitled to a maximum $100 reimbursement per day to cover the costs of purchasing specialized perishable or non-reusable materials and renting equipment. The science organization is responsible for the purchase, rental and transportation of any necessary materials and equipment, though they may ask school staff for assistance if necessary.
Costs incurred in purchasing perishable or non-reusable materials or in renting equipment for which the school is responsible are reimbursable up to $500 for each day in which the resource person is present at the school.
Preparation and administration costs
The preparation and administration costs listed below are covered to a maximum of 15% of the total of the other allowable expenses:
- cost of providing substitute teachers to enable the teachers concerned to participate in the various project phases
- technical support and information technology costs for workshops carried out by videoconference
- cost of stationery, printing and photocopying
- purchase of:
- digital equipment
- computer equipment
- robotic equipment
- photographic equipment or video cameras
- training costs for teachers and cultural partners
- accommodation and meal costs incurred by students on field trips
- operating costs of science organizations
The project submission deadline is determined by each school service centre and school board.
The submission deadline for science workshops or field trips is October 15, 2021.
- Répertoire culture-éducation (in French only)