Homeschooling informations in the context of COVID-19
Given the circumstances surrounding COVID-19 and the extension of school closures, many families are turning to the Direction de l’enseignement à la maison for information. However, homeschooling is a standardized process, the framework of which is determined by a homeschooling regulation .
In this context, it is important to clarify that families whose children were part of the school system are not required to provide formal notification of homeschooling.
If you have any questions on this subject, please contact the following e-mail address: info.enseignement-maison[a]education.gouv.qc.ca .
Although the Direction de l’enseignement à la maison makes every effort to respond promptly, please note that the response time may be longer than usual.
All children living in Québec must attend school:
- from the first day of the school calendar in the school year following that in which they turn 6 years old
- until the last day of the school calendar in the school year during which they turn 16 years old OR at the end of which they obtain a diploma awarded by the Minister of Education, Recreation and Sports
- However, parents in Québec may choose to homeschool their children. Under the Education Act, a child who receives appropriate homeschooling may be exempt from compulsory school attendance.
The homeschooling must, however, comply with all the conditions and procedures determined by government regulation, namely those regarding:
- the characteristics of the learning project
- the annual evaluation of the student’s progress
- the process applicable in the event of problems related to the learning project or its implementation
Parents who choose to homeschool their children must send a written notice to the Minister and the school board that has jurisdiction on or before July 1 of each year.
If the student stops attending an educational institution during the school year, the notice must be sent within 10 days of that time.
The Ministère has developed a form parents can use to send such notice.
Direction de l’enseignement à la maison
Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur
600, rue Fullum, 11e étage
Montréal (Québec) H2K 4L1
514-787-3583 ext. 5265
- Secure site for homeschool providers for the 2020-2021 school year
- Secure site for homeschool providers for the 2019-2020 school year
- Support guide
- Learning project templates
- Report on student’s progress templates
- Status report templates
- Report on student’s progress and status report templates