All children living in Québec must attend school:
- from the first day of the school calendar in the school year following that in which they turn 6 years old
- until the last day of the school calendar in the school year during which they turn 16 years old OR at the end of which they obtain a diploma awarded by the Minister of Education
- However, parents in Québec may choose to homeschool their children. Under the Education Act, a child who receives appropriate homeschooling may be exempt from compulsory school attendance.
The homeschooling must, however, comply with all the conditions and procedures determined by government regulation, namely those regarding:
- the characteristics of the learning project
- the annual evaluation of the student’s progress
- the process applicable in the event of problems related to the learning project or its implementation
Parents who choose to homeschool their children must send a written notice to the Minister and the school board that has jurisdiction on or before July 1 of each year.
If the student stops attending an educational institution during the school year, the notice must be sent within 10 days of that time.
The Ministère has developed a form parents can use to send such notice.
Direction de l’enseignement à la maison
Ministère de l’Éducation
600, rue Fullum, 11e étage
Montréal (Québec) H2K 4L1
514-787-3583 ext. 5265