Founded in 1904 by Clara Lichtenstein, the Conservatory of Music of McGill University was known first as the McGill Conservatorium. The McGill Conservatory is proud of its long history and the enviable reputation is has acquired both within the university and in the Montréal region. The McGill Conservatory, which is the Community Program of the Schulich School of Music of McGill University, has a mandate which is strongly involved with community outreach in music education for all ages and abilities.
The main focus of instruction at the McGill Conservatory is on classical music. However, it offers instrumental and theoretical instruction in all styles of music including jazz and popular music. Students enrolled at the McGill Conservatory come from the Montréal community, or are currently studying at McGill University in other degree programs. The Conservatory has two locations: downtown in the Strathcona Music Building and at the Macdonald Campus, Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue.