Section 4 of the Basic school regulation for preschool, elementary and secondary education allows for support services to provide students with conditions that are conducive to learning, in accordance with a program established by the school board. This complementary educational services program may include homework assistance.
The purpose of the sixth path to success in I care about school! is to reduce learning delays in elementary school. Homework assistance services will be improved in order to reach a greater number of students, diversify the services available, especially in terms of improving the students’ working methods, and provide additional support for parents. Services may also include training for daycare workers to help students with their school work and training for students to become peer helpers.
The aims of the program are as follows:
- Provide help with homework and assignments to all students who need it.
- Increase students’ motivation with regard to school and their ability to take responsibility for their academic progress.
- Help students acquire working methods and develop their ability to work autonomously (new program aim).
- Increase the involvement of parents and the community in student retention by providing them with additional support.
The program guidelines are as follows:
- Intervene early, mainly in Elementary Cycles One and Two.
- Through collaboration with the school daycare and community organizations, reach as many students as possible.
- Promote basic conditions to help students learn and persevere in school (motivate students and help them become autonomous).
- Target students at risk for failure because of various problems, particularly boys with difficulties.
- Support students and parents in taking primary responsibility for student success.
- Offer students a range of services in a variety of fields.
- Consider diverse family models when planning services (working moms, single-parent families, shared custody, etc.).
- Ensure the equity and consistency of the educational support and homework assistance measures.
- Enable students to become peer helpers for one another and support them in their efforts.