Société de guitare Claude McKinnon inc.
The SGCM, known as the Mouvement de guitare classique La Soribandeinc. until the year 2000, was founded in April, 1981. It is a non-profit organization created to promote and facilitate the study of the classical guitar.
The objectives of the SGCM are as follows:
- to promote the study and practice of the guitar from early childhood (3 years) to adulthood, using the method developed in Québec by teacher and guitarist Claude McKinnon, for use in all interested institutions or musical environments
- to implement a structured instrumental program leading to an Attestation (a certificate recognized since 1988 by the ministère de l'Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport), with the aim to do the following:
- develop and research the teaching of classical guitar and improve the repertoire for the guitar
- promote and facilitate the accessibility of musical activities such as concerts, musical ensembles, internships, master classes and music competitions
- organize meetings, lectures, forums, exhibitions and demonstrations for the development of guitar skills
- promote dialogue and collaboration between different styles of guitar (pop, jazz, flamenco, blues).
The SCGM's instrumental program is implemented in a variety of settings: private instruction, private music schools, recreational organizations, and public education (elementary, secondary and college levels).