Field Trips to Cultural Venues
In keeping with Québec’s cultural policy, Partout, la culture, and the related action plan, financial support is being provided to school service centres (SSC), school boards (SB) and private educational institutions to enable all young people, from preschool through secondary school, to take part in two free school field trips to cultural venues per year. Students in adult general education and vocational training may also be offered the opportunity to take part in cultural field trips while completing their programs.
School field trips to cultural venues enable students to discover the incredible abundance of culturally important places and events while providing them with opportunities to have meaningful cultural experiences.
Temporary adjustements made to Measure 15186
until the end of the public health emergency
Given the changing nature of the pandemic and the different health measures that schools and cultural organizations must follow, the flexibility that was permitted on an exceptional basis for the 2020-2021 school year will continue to be permitted in 2021-2022. However, if in-person activities are possible for some or all of the groups of students involved, in compliance with the guidelines issued by the MEQ and the public health authorities, these activities should be favoured
The following are therefore also eligible:
- shows, exhibitions and performances held at the school or online by cultural organizations listed in the Répertoire culture-éducation
The current eligibility criteria are supplemented by the following conditions:
- Online activities must be delivered using direct methods (synchronous) or hybrid methods (pre-recorded with interactive dynamic components) methods.
- Cultural mediation and support must be provided by the cultural partner in person or at a distance, before, during or after the activity, and in collaboration with the teacher.
To be eligible for financial support, a cultural field trip must meet the following conditions:
- involve the participation of a cultural organization listed in the Répertoire culture-éducation
- be presented by a school or group of schools, or by a SSC or SB
- present the steps in the preparation, implementation and transfer-of-learning phases:
- The preparation phase involves one or more activities that enable the students to acquire the knowledge they will need during the implementation phase.
- The implementation phase involves one or more cultural experiences that students take part in as part of school field trips.
- The transfer-of-learning phase allows students to reflect on the knowledge acquired during the previous two phases and to make connections with other learning situations in the classroom.
- shows and performances not directly related to in-class learning as well as extracurricular activities and activities offered solely for the purpose of entertaining students
- workshops or artist residencies already supported by the Culture in the Schools program
- activities offered by cultural organizations from outside Québec
- activities offered by science organizations related to science disciplines listed in the Répertoire culture-éducation (educational institutions can obtain financial assistance under the Science Culture component of the Culture in the Schools program)
School service centres or school boards
This allocation comes under Measure 15186 of the budget rules for SSC or SB. This measure, which is protected and paid in advance, is intended solely to support field trips to cultural venues.
Private educational institutions
In the budgetary rules for private schools (in French only), this allocation comes under Volet 2 (Sorties scolaires en milieu culturel) of measure 30210 (Activités culturelles) and is reserved exclusively for this use.
Financial assistance for school field trips to cultural venues covers the following expenses:
- the cost of transportation to cultural organizations
- the cost of tickets to shows or events
- the entrance fees for cultural locations or events
- the costs associated with preparation and transfer-of-learning activities offered by cultural organizations
- the costs of providing substitute teachers to allow teachers and other educators to participate in the various phases of field trip projects
For all school field trips to cultural venues, the percentage of funding allocated under the present measure must be adjusted if an institution receives a grant for the same project under another financial assistance measure, particularly for school transportation. The financial support from various budget measures must not exceed 100% of the costs associated with the project.
Submitting a Project Proposal
In accordance with the terms and conditions in each jurisdiction, projects proposed by teachers must be submitted to the principal of the educational institution or to the SSC or SB. The Field Trip Submission Form is made available to SSC or SB to facilitate the project-submission process.
For more information about the terms and conditions in effect in each jurisdiction, teachers and other school staff members can contact their school’s principal, who may, if necessary, contact the person responsible for Culture-Education files at the SSC or SB.
The representative of the cultural organization and the person responsible for the school field trip should contact one another to determine the date of the field trip and the activities to be carried out at school in order to properly prepare the students for the field trip or cultural event.
Evaluation of requests for financial assistance
The SSC, SB or educational institution may set up a process of project evaluation, selection and follow-up.
The following criteria could be considered when evaluating applications:
- effective collaboration between teachers or other school staff and the representatives of the cultural organization
- involvement of the greatest possible number of students
- preparation and transfer-of-learning activities associated with the project
- connections with the Québec Education Program
The school must contact the representative of the cultural organization as soon as a reply to the application for financial assistance has been received, and must sign the agreement only when the project has been approved. If the application for financial assistance is refused, the school administration must notify the cultural organization so that it can unblock the date it had reserved for the school field trip.
The SSC, SB or educational institution may sign a binding contract with the cultural organization. This contract should take into account the terms and conditions established by the Ministère and specify the points on which the parties agree:
- dates of the field trips and the preparatory workshops, if applicable
- terms and conditions of payment
- duties and responsibilities of the school and the cultural organization
- termination clauses, clauses to end the contract and cancellation in case of force majeure
The school must verify whether the SSC or SB has administrative requirements with regard to the payment to be made to the cultural organization.
Reporting on the use of financial assistance
Public and private educational institutions, SSC and SB that receive financial support under Measure 15186 are required to submit, no later than June 30 of the current school year, the accountability report questionnaire, which is accessible via the CollecteInfo website . The Ministère may recover any money used for unforeseen expenses.