Reading Recognition Awards
The nomination periods for the Reading Recognition Awards and for the Prix Étincelle (Spark Awards) have been extended due to the school closures, so you are now invited to submit your projects and complete the online forms by June 19, 2020. The award presentations will take place in Fall 2020, in an appropriate manner based on the situation at that time.
Each year, the Reading Recognition Awards highlight the passionate work of teachers and school staff who complete projects that put reading in the spotlight. These projects promote student engagement, perseverance and educational success.
The Reading Recognition Awards are intended to pay tribute to projects that were created in an educational context and that inspire passion for reading and promote the use of various resources.
Congratulations to all the winning projects!
List of prizes
The Ministère de l’Éducation and its partners are proud to showcase the quality and excellence of the projects that won the Reading Recognition Awards.
Awarded by the Ministère
- Pedogogical prize
- Provincial prizes
Awarded by partner organizations
- Library services
Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BAnQ)
- Promotion of Québec literature
Union des écrivaines et des écrivains québécois (UNEQ)
- Promotion of reading in elementary schools
Association québécoise des enseignantes et des enseignants du primaire (AQEP)
- Effective practices for reading on a digital platform
Association québécoise des utilisateurs d'outils technologiques à des fins pédagogiques et sociales (AQUOPS)
- Promotion of the skills of Québec’s illustrators
Illustration Québec (IQ)
- Promotion of Québec literature
Communication jeunesse (CJ)
- Promotion of reading in a French as a Second Language class or a welcoming class
Association québécoise des enseignants de français langue seconde (AQEFLS)
- Integration and optimal use of school library resources
Association pour la promotion des services documentaires scolaires (APSDS)
- comply with the provisions of the Copyright Act
- be completed during the current school year
Projects that have already received awards in previous editions of the Reading Recognition Awards are not eligible.
Selection committees will assess the projects in order to select those that were most involved in their community. They must have sparked the students’ interest and helped them to develop their reading skills.
More specifically, the selection committee will consider the projects based on the following elements:
- Links with the Québec Education Program
Projects that are consistent with the educational aims and values of the Québec Education Program
Projects that motivate for young people and encourage the development of varied and long-lasting reading habits
Projects that help young people to develop the knowledge and strategies they need to read different types of texts on various subjects in a variety of media and that create multidisciplinary or interdisciplinary links
Projects that promote dialogue and partnerships between schools, families and communities
- Links with research
Projects that are based on practices documented in research.
Preparation of the candidate’s project
The person in charge of the project must:
- prepare a description of the project
- where necessary, prepare and attach appendices, visual material, audio or visual files, a list of Internet addresses, promotional tools, or any other relevant document that helps better describe the project and highlights student involvement
- inform the school administration of the steps taken and ensure it approves of the project being submitted
When an application package contains images (photos, videos or other) or audio that could allow a student to be identified, the person in charge of the project must ensure that a holder of parental authority is aware of the process and has consented that this information be submitted to the Ministère which will then publish it, mainly on its website.
Submitting the candidate’s project
Only projects sent using the electronic project submission form will be accepted. Perform the following steps:
- Complete the project submission form
- If necessary, attach digital files (photos, video, audio) and additional documentation
- Send the form by March 22 of the current school year