Projects must be carried out in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Schools Host an Artist or Writer component. Schools and school boards may start their projects once they have received a reply to their financial assistance application. Before embarking on a project, the parties must agree on such matters as:
- project dates
- the duration of the project (number of weeks, whether they are consecutive or not)
- related fees and expenses
- terms and conditions of payment
- the materials required and the terms and conditions of purchase, which take into account what the cultural partner needs to carry out the cultural project
- copyright and the dissemination of the work
- clauses covering the cancellation or termination of a contract
The school board or private school must sign a service contract with the cultural services provider. Questions relating to contract management must be put to the contract management advisor at your school board or educational institution.
The contract must be adapted to the specific nature of each project. If the final product is the result of a collaborative effort involving the artistic exploration work of the students and the personal creative work of the artist or writer, the school board or private educational institution and the cultural partner must come to an agreement on copyright issues and the dissemination of the work. Additional clauses must then be included in the contract signed by the two parties. The advice of a legal professional may be required regarding certain aspects of the law.
- Unless the cultural partner provides instructions to the contrary, the school board or private educational institution is not to make any deductions at source when paying fees.
- The school board or private educational institution applies the management rules in effect and reaches an agreement with the artist or writer on a lump sum payment. However, it is suggested that a minimum of $2000 be paid during the first week of the project and that the final payment be made following the submission of the final report, i.e. within 30 days of the date on which the project was completed.
- The justification of expenses is carried out according to the terms and conditions specified by the school board or private educational institution, which also sees to the application of the tax laws in effect.
- The school or school board may request a Declaration Concerning a Judicial Record before allowing an artist or writer to carry out a project in a school. The artist or writer is responsible for the costs applicable to this verification, and the procedures involved are specific to each school board or private educational institution.
- Educational and cultural partners may be asked to provide supporting documents for expenses incurred.
Public and private schools: