To access the documents required to prepare the learning content in sexuality education (pedagogical frameworks), members of the school team should consult the sexuality education support staff of their school board or private educational institution.
Sexuality education takes various dimensions of human experience into account and covers a variety of subjects: knowledge of the body, body image, gender stereotypes, romantic feelings.
It enables students to:
- better understand themselves
- establish emotional relationships that show respect for themselves and others
- develop critical thinking and good judgment along with a sense of responsibility
To provide students with sexuality education that covers all the important issues, the Ministère give it a more formal place in students’ education. Therefore, since September 2018, the content defined by the Ministère is compulsory for elementary and secondary students at both private and public schools. This content is also available at the kindergarten level.
The various topics will be taught in an age-appropriate manner and instruction will foster the students’ development and make them less vulnerable to certain problems.
Québec schools have exercised their responsibility with respect to sexuality education for almost 40 years, starting with the Personal and Social Education Program, which ran from the 1980s to the start of this century. Since that time, sexuality education has been provided by school staff using a variety of means.
- Parents’ guide for discussing sexuality with their teens
- Sex Education in the Context of Education Reform
- Sex Education in Schools: Yes, But How?
- Boys and Girls, Let's Get Along! – A Teaching Guide