Services and Accommodations – Students with Disabilities

Accommodations offered

Accommodation measures in college are generally the same as those in secondary school. They help to offset the effects of students’ disabilities.

The following are examples of possible accommodation measures:

  • tutoring
  • support for learning
  • educational support
  • extensions of deadlines for handing in schoolwork and exams
  • help in preparing for the ministerial examination of college English, language of instruction and literature
  • specialized equipment and software
  • access to separate areas when writing exams
  • review of work methods

Needs with respect to specialized material and adapted technology are determined in the same way as the other accommodation measures, i.e. by meeting with adapted services staff, who ensure that these measures are consistent with your needs assessment. Colleges usually have these materials, or can obtain them; if not, they will suggest other solutions to meet your needs.

Colleges are not required to provide a pre-determined list of accommodation measures for each limitation. The appropriate measures are determined by adapted services staff, based specifically on your needs and your courses.

Exemptions granted in secondary school are not automatically carried over to college; this applies regardless of the student’s area of study. The college is responsible for analyzing each case in light of its institutional policy on the evaluation of student achievement.

Ministerial examination of college English, language of instruction and literature

Accommodation measures have been available to students with disabilities since the introduction, in 1996, of ministerial examinations in the language of instruction and literature. These measures were created to help you write the ministerial examinations in a context similar to that of your studies.

The application for such measures is made by the college, after the student has signed the required form. The establishment of these measures requires a diagnosis or a diagnostic assessment.

Other services offered

The colleges offer many other services, although the nature of these services may differ from one college to the next. For example, academic advisors and guidance counsellors can help students improve their work methods or find solutions to certain learning difficulties. 

Also, colleges generally have help centres to assist students with homework (e.g. English French, mathematics and humanities).

You are not required to have a diagnosis or a diagnostic assessment to consult these professionals or to have access to these services.

Appreciation Form

Appreciation Form
How would you rate this content?
Did you encounter any problems while navigating? Please send us your observations and help us improve our website. Please do not enter any personal information in this field.